A Total System for Becoming a Natural, Confident Communicator
Ivy Naistadt has developed a foolproof system for becoming a natural, confident communicator. Her 20 years of experience as a Public Speaking Coach helping business professionals are synthesized in her new book, Speak Without Fear: A Total System for Becoming a Natural, Confident Communicator.
Are you an Avoider, Anticipator, Adrenalizer or Improviser when it comes to making a presentation, going on a job interview or speaking before a large audience? Whatever your nervousness profile may be, the fear of public speaking has taken over and disabled you from giving an effective, well-executed performance. You're not alone.
Millions of people have to communicate daily under pressure. Even some of the best performers do so reluctantly and with great stress.
Executive speech coach, speaker, and seminar leader Ivy Naistadt, whose clients include the senior management of Hershey, Corning, Pitney Bowes, IBM and the New York Times, has developed a foolproof system for becoming a natural, confident communicator. Her 20 years of experience in helping business professionals manage their public speaking jitters are synthesized in her new book, Speak Without Fear: A Total System for Becoming a Natural, Confident Communicator (Harper Collins Publishers, February 20, 2004).
The stage fright we experience in situations where we are called upon to put ourselves on the line before a group or a person is fueled by three things, according to Naistadt, including:
- Myths about the fear of public speaking pervading society that we have bought into. These obstacles can be eliminated easily and quickly simply by dispelling them.
- Skill-related roadblocks, which require more time and effort to remove because they require learning or having a particular skill. But at least the fix is clear-cut.
- Inhibitions that plague us on an individual basis, requiring a deeper level of commitment to resolve because they stem from fears we've nurtured as obstacles over time.
Get to the Root of What's Troubling You
Speak Without Fear aids the millions of Americans who list fear of public speaking as one of their biggest -- along with going to the dentist, being audited, and attending a funeral. It combats performance anxiety in everyday business situations -- meetings, presentations, interviews, reviews and sales conferences. Public speaking skills can be learned and honed and many books cover this topic. However, Speak Without Fear delves beyond external techniques and probes deeply into the reason for your performance anxiety.
Speak Without Fear gets to the root of what's troubling you and giving you the sweats so that you can identify what's in the way and work through it to communicate naturally, comfortably and compellingly before audiences of any size. "Considering how dependent the marketplace is on communications, it is imperative we overcome fear of public speaking that plagues our performance," says Naistadt.
Speak Without Fear shows us:
- Which personality type we identify with -- and how to address the fears and concerns associated with each one
- The 6 primary fears associated with public speaking and how to resolve them
- Eight last-minute details to prepare for our speaking engagement and convert fright time into Showtime!
- How to puncture the myths that keep us from reaching our unexplored speaking potential
- Dozens of do's and don'ts when it comes to how we use our bodies when presenting
- Four high-impact ingredients to make your speech bloom and come to life
Surprisingly, the influence of our speaking fears may trace all the way back to childhood. The words spoken to us by those we trusted -- siblings, parents, teachers, and clergy played a great role in our development as communicators. Naistadt attacks all of the emotional-based issues and provides techniques designed to bring any negative emotions accompanying hidden obstacles to the surface and clears them away.
Easy to Follow, Step-by-Step
Naistadt's easy-to-follow, step-by-step program helps you pinpoint the incidents and issues that, directly or indirectly, cause you fear and loathing in the spotlight. She helps you develop and master a technique for overcoming your anxiety that is adaptable to your level of experience and need. She serves as a calming force in a moment of chaos.
Develop a Style that Reflects Who You Are
Speak Without Fear empowers you to develop a personal style of communicating that reflects who you are, with self-assurance and authority.
Naistadt helps you bring your message to life while minimizing the fear factor. She concludes: